Let the mad rush begin!
With Nebraska's legislature set to meet in less than two weeks to take away Americans' right to use our fair state as a giant recycling bin for teens who have outlived their usefulness (and Mom's patience), parents have precious little time to unload their budding Norman Bateses and Debbie Downers. So expect the biggest rush to this part of the Great Plains since the signing of the Homestead Act as fed-up moms and dads try to beat the clock and hit it big playing Nebraska Dump 'Em.
AFTER ALL, Nebraska Dump 'Em (TM) is the only game in town where you win big by losing big!
The clock is ticking, and le deluge got under way Sunday with the abandonment of two 16-year-olds at Omaha hospitals, as reported by the World-Herald:
A teenage girl was dropped off in Sarpy County on Sunday afternoon, and a teenage boy was left in Douglas County on Sunday night.
Sgt. Larry Fasnacht of the Papillion Police Department said the 16-year-old girl was left at Midlands Hospital by her mother.
The girl had lived in Omaha before being sent earlier this year to live with her mother in Arizona, Fasnacht said. The mother left the girl at the Papillion hospital about 4 p.m., he said.
Fasnacht said he did not know whether the mother, who has ties to the community, brought her daughter back to Nebraska specifically to drop her off under the safe haven law.
About 11:20 p.m., a 16-year-old boy was dropped off at Children's Hospital in Omaha, according to dispatch reports. No other details were available.
Kathie Osterman, spokeswoman for the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services, said more information would not be made available until today.
Since the beginning of September, there have been at least 19 instances of people wishing to use Nebraska's safe haven law, dropping off a total of 27 children — most at hospitals and one at a police station.